Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Motivation with Lorna Jane



It was love at first sight when I entered a Lorna Jane store. The colors and fabrics alone ignited an excitement inside of me to get up and break a sweat. Lorna Jane is a brand that inspires women to get moving-active wear for active living. Lorna Jane was born in England and didn’t understand what it felt like to be active and run around outdoors until at age 10 when she moved to Australia. After hand making unique original designs for the women in her aerobics classes Jane realized her skills were in such popular demand that she was able to open up her first store at a local gym in Brisbane. Lorna Jane the brand has rapidly expanded over the years and is gaining popularity in the American market. Jane intentionally wrote Move, Nourish, Believe for American women, as she wanted to bring awareness of the culture that is Lorna Jane. Women who wear the clothes are part of a sisterhood, there is an understanding of what the brand represents. A real woman like you and me created this, not another athlete or famous face trying to make money.

Lorna Jane is very hands on with the brand and goes to the opening of all her stores. Jane genuinely cares about your story and that is evident in the employees she hires. They are not pushing the brand so much as the passion behind it. If you are in the Glendale, CA area I recommend you go to the Lorna Jane store and ask for the manager Melanie. She is a dedicated employee who grew up watching her mum and sisters wear Lorna Jane thus introducing her to the sisterhood. Melanie says wearing the fun pieces gives her confidence and makes her feel good and “want to go to the gym.” Working at Lorna Jane allows Melanie to interact with different cultures, amazing mums and career women all juggling life. If you feel overwhelmed at what to choose, here are Melanie’s recommendations for the Lorna Jane newbie:
The Amy tight is her favorite, as it feels amazing and is versatile. As well as working out you can always dress it up with high heels and a flowy top for dinner. The Pammy crop top comes highly recommended as it provides support and style all in one.

There are people who think it is superficial to care about your appearance when working out. I however, say why not care? We spend so much time on our appearances making sure we are taken seriously at work, that we shouldn’t think twice about slipping into something pretty to help kick start our workout regimen. If I feel pretty and not restricted in my clothing then I’m ready to take on anything as I can put all my focus on my actual work out.

Take a moment to think about what motivates you- your kids, your health, maybe an upcoming party. You may not be ready to set foot in a gym or lace up those running shoes yet so pick up Move, Nourish, Believe by Lorna Jane Clarkson, a woman who’s entire mission is to inspire active living.  The book very honestly reveals the struggle of building her business from the ground up. All women can relate to the fact that their hard work and persistence will lead to better things in life. Mary Anne Radmacher insightfully states:
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying “I will try again tomorrow.”
You may even see yourself reflected in one of the stories shared throughout the book, such as Aprile Woolcock who was at risk of a major heart attack, Nat Reynolds who battled weight problems all her life and Samantha Swalling who loved the gym so much she entered the professional bodybuilding world. I found myself highlighting phrases all throughout this hard to put down book. There are so many simple yet powerful thoughts and suggestions to help you snap out of your slumber and get moving.

My favorite parts of the book are ‘Cause & Effect’ and the double spread Jane has written on water intake. It’s common sense but sometimes one gets so wrapped up in her life that the little things in life that have impact are forgotten. The way you live your life and treat your body will eventually catch up with you. Everyone from our coaches to our doctors tell us to drink more water and stay hydrated. Eight Glasses A Day is a section in the book that breaks your daily water intake down so that all you have to do is make the commitment. I have no doubt you will find motivation in Move, Nourish, Believe, which the book describes as “…the three pillars of creating a healthy, joyous and vibrant life”.

If you’re ready to start living your best life, pick up a copy of Lorna Jane’s book and connect with me next week for my first installation of Chisel & Burn. I promise to get your muscles screaming! 

14 comments:

  1. What a great piece. I'm motivated to not only workout, but also to follow my dreams. Lorna sounds like an amazing woman. I love the quote about courage too. If only we could all think like that. Thank you for sharing this inspirational story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a workout fanatic so I'm all for anything that helps the way I feel and look about myself. Love this story! I will definately be checking out this store!
    Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a workout fanatic, so I'm all over thing that can improve the way I look and feel during a workout. I love this story. I will definately check out her store. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article, Tasha. I like the way you feature stories of strong women who are following their dreams. In your profile you talk about uplifting & supporting each other; articles like this prove you believe that - it's inspiring and encouraging. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article, Tasha. I like that you feature stories of strong women who are following their dreams. In your profile, you talk about supporting and uplifting each other. This article proves you really believe that - it's encouraging and motivating. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I grew up in Glendale and never heard of it?!?! I'm def going shopping there now. Wooohoo for shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspiring piece! I definitely want to check out the clothes - does she have an online store?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inspiring piece! I definitely want to check out the clothes...does she have an online store?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I def need a boost to get out/to the gym to work out!The article alone got me excited to do something. I need to check out one of her shops and def the book...sounds like the motivation I need :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I def need a boost to get out/to the gym to work out!The article alone got me excited to do something. I need to check out one of her shops and def the book...sounds like the motivation I need :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So true! I had also never heard of this brand, but will definitely check it out! Also, of course people care about how they look when they work out! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tasha-- Prior to reading your article I had not heard of Lorna Jane! I definitely believe that taking care of our bodies is essential both physically, mentally, as well as spiritually. I think its important for each person to find what inspires and motivates them to be healthy and happy and if clothing can help in that process why not! :) As for the images are those individuals air brushed? ;) I don't believe being healthy has to do with a certain image, instead I believe it has to do with exercise, eating and how one feels.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tasha-- Prior to reading your article I had not heard of Lorna Jane! I definitely believe that taking care of our bodies is essential both physically, mentally, as well as spiritually. I think its important for each person to find what inspires and motivates them to be healthy and happy and if clothing can help in that process why not! :) As for the images are those individuals air brushed? ;) I don't believe being healthy has to do with a certain image, instead I believe it has to do with exercise, eating and how one feels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. After reading this blog I am definitely going to make a trip to Glendale to purchase some items. Prior to reading this blog I hadn't heard of Lorne Jane and after reading this blog I decided to explore the Lorne Jane site. There are some really good tips and workouts to try.!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think about my post.