Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

My Grandad's favorites

Brussels sprouts, carrots, gravy, mini sausages wrapped in bacon and turkey

Looking at the pictures featured simultaneously arouses my taste buds and awakens distant memories. My mum and I cooked up some of my grandfathers favorites. This was a bitter sweet day as my grandad entered the spiritual world just this past summer. He was an English gentleman that bravely fought in WWII and told the best bedtime stories. After the war he became a Gardener and reveled in the beauty of plant life.

Had this meal been made in England we would have hand picked the vegetables from the garden. My grandad believed no meal was complete without vegetables and potatoes! Even if you made him Persian, or Chinese or Indian food he would say "that was good, but where are the potatoes and veges!"

I see a plate full of vegetables, my grandad saw growth and new life. Tending to his vegetable patch he would talk about it with vigorous passion comparable to that of a mother with a newborn child.

1 comment:

  1. This is a lovely tribute to your grandfather. And great proof that memories don't have to come from pictures alone. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure your grandfather would be pleased at the way you remember him.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think about my post.