Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Nutcracker


Spending the weekend in Mammoth surrounded by snow covered mountains reminded me of the winter and a new tradition I started just this past December. I fell in love with The Nutcracker, a world renowned story performed by ballet companies around the world. The Nutcracker is based on the story of a young girl who dreams about a feud between her Nutcracker Prince and the Mouse King. I attended a performance by the Los Angeles ballet and could feel the dancers energy. They were able to build anticipation in the fight scene reflecting the nightmares of the young girl, Clara who deeply cares about her Nutcracker soldier. The enchantment of Clara's dream is returned in The Land of the Snow, a forest full of dancing snowflakes. This was one of the most aesthetically pleasing scenes of the entire ballet, I found myself perched on the edge of my seat not daring to miss one second of the dance for it's beauty was spell binding. Another captivating part of the Nutcracker are the dances given to Clara and the Prince by the Sugar Plum Fairy in The Land of Sweets. The strength and grace exhibited by the ballerina's in The Arabian dance fast made it my favorite out of the celebration dances. The dream ends and Clara finds herself peacefully with her Nutcracker, leaving the audience fulfilled.
I hope to make this an annual winter tradition with my daughter but for now I will enjoy the dancing snowflakes embracing me as I explore Mammoth village with my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about my post.