Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Sugar Bread on Teatime Tuesday


My parents were sharing childhood stories last weekend when my mum mentioned sugared bread as an afternoon tea snack. My ears perked up at the sound of sugared bread and in the same breath my heart sunk as she explained that the sugared bread was a result of not being able to afford anything else to eat. Far from the streets of London where my mum was raised are the worldly plains of Iran the country that my father is from. My dad talked about how they would eat the same snack but simply for the taste. While the cultures are so different both had a shared experience that although painful for one strengthened their connection.

Next time you are hungry try toasting some bread, spreading the butter and adding a sprinkle of sugar with a cup of tea and allow yourself to feel connected to many people and cultures around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about my post.