Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Petits Fours

Haifa, Israel

On July 9th at noon every year Baha'i's around the world commemorate the Martyrdom of the Bab which took place in 1850. The Bab, meaning the Gate was the forerunner of the Baha'i Faith. The Bab like many other Prophets of God was killed for his teachings. You may be asking yourself why am I including such a tragic day in my petits fours post. While it is sad it had a huge impact on my week - a reminder of the roots of my faith. There are a lot of Baha'i books available if you are interested in reading more about this eventful day in 1850. I also found a couple of good articles in the Huffington Post that are very detailed. Feel free to email me too at polishedpractical@gmail.com if you ever have any questions.                      

Watts Towers, Los Angeles

I came across this photograph when I was in LA and was utterly intrigued. The Watts Towers took 34 years to build by hand and are listed as a National Historic landmark. Simon Rodia, a construction worker and clearly an artist named his masterpiece "Nuestro Pueblo", meaning "our town". What attracts me to the Watts Towers aside from seashells, tiles and glass adorning the landmark is the fact that Rodia had a goal of doing something big in his life and nothing could stop him from achieving this. Nuestro Pueblo is a "unique monument to the human spirit and the persistence of a singular vision"(The history of the Watts Towers website). 

c/o Lorna Jane 

7/12/13 was the book release date for MORE the second of Lorna Jane's books. I had the opportunity to review Jane's first book Move, Nourish, Believe and this next one only gets better. As you know I'm a book fanatic - I would live in a library if it were a housing option, so it's easy for me to know from the first page if the rest of the book is going to be worth the read. This one definitely is! Stay tuned for a full book review! 

I hope you are all enjoying your weekends. 
xoxo
Tasha 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think about my post.